Monday, October 29, 2007

Art Shows and Galleries

Where has this week gone!? I have worked on my art almost every day and I don't know how I neglected posting to my blog.

I had a challenge last week. One of the charcoal portraits I was working on was really giving me a hard time. I had purchased some new charcoal sticks and I used a harder grade of charcoal for the under tones. When I tried to erase the highlights, there were spots all over that wouldn't erase. A woman doesn't want spots on her face and arms. I decided to make a sample of the different grades of the charcoal sticks and what they look like erased. I taped off squares on the paper I use for my portraits. After toning each square with the different grades of charcoal, I erased some spots on each one. This way I could see how each one acts and I won't make the same mistake again.

I have almost finished my longhorn painting. I am heading to Blanco at the end of this week and I need to have this painting finished by that time.

Saturday, I drove over to Hobbs, New Mexico to pick up my art from the Llano Estacado Art Association Fall Open Art Show there. As I was gathering my things, the lady who was overseeing things came over and shared with me. She had been present at the critique given by Grace Knox, who was the juror for the show. She told me that Grace had said something to the effect that my painting, "Peek-a-Boo" was perfect. She couldn't see anything to change about it. I was thrilled!

Next week I will enter another art show in San Angelo, Texas. The show is called "Best in Realism" and I think I have some paintings that certainly fall in that category.

Hopefully, I will post the final product of "Longhorn" tomorrow. The bull looks pretty good and the grass is coming along nicely, but I have to totally rework the sky. I was experimenting with color and it just didn't work. The sky needs some clouds and a little more excitement to complement the bull.

If you have put off ordering your artwork, please remember that there are just a couple of days left before we are into November. Place your orders now so you can take advantage of some very economical pricing.

Kindest regards,
Nancy Verschoor

nancyverschoor@toast2.net
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee." (1 Timothy 4:14)

No comments: